Friday, October 22, 2010

MRC Cyclocross

I can spell the MRC Cyclocross race: F-U-N!!! That race was a blast and that was the most fun I have had in a long time. I am going to be surprised if this race doesn't become one of the biggest cross races in New England. I loved the new venue; the Lancaster Fairgrounds. I can go on and on; the beer, the chili, hanging out with team-mates and friends on a gorgeous fall day. I loved the course also, not easy and the club featured a "fly over" which means you pick-up your bike and climb stairs, mount quickly and fly down a steep ramp. This pick is me going back under the fly over (thanks for the pic Russ!!!) - big smile on my face. I hadn't honestly touched a bike in three-weeks (thumbs down, boo, unhappy face), so I just jumped in and raced with no expectations, goals or even caring about racing; which is probably what made it so much fun. I had only one crash; sprinting against Mark from Landrys, I passed him and said "you aren't going to let me pass you are you?" We proceded to sprint down a straight away, of course I passed him only to be going way too fast into the turn and did a complete 180 only to be facing Mark coming at me. He spared riding me over though and I paid him back when he WIPED OUT going down the flyover and I held this young guy from mounting and riding over him as he was laying on his back at the bottom of the ramp! I put my CX tires on the night before only to see that the tread is worn on both tires; they need to be chucked. Anyway, I really enjoyed that race and raced well. I was definitely in a groove 2/3 of the way through (also, not one CX practice this fall and I still raced).

Back to running. I am racing the Groton 10mile trail race this weekend(cheers! hooray! clapping!). I have mostly been running trails, so I think it makes sense for me to race now and maybe do an early off-season or some other low-key races. My numbers have decreased over the last week in a half, so it has almost been like a taper. I look forward to returning to Groton. I think it has been 5 or 6 years sense I last raced there.

I hope everyone is enjoying fall. It has been a cool fall for us New Englanders. Let me know what everyone else is doing! I may jump into another cross or trail race in the near future.

No comments: