Monday, April 14, 2008

Boston Marathon Taper Week

All the training finally comes to an end... for the marathon that is anyway! This last week was also real good. I have no issues, nothing hurting, broken or falling off. This week is always difficult for me, because the addiction is so strong and when I stop, there is always a lot of energy that begins to build up. A lot of people are asking me what my goal is this year. I am sticking with breaking 2:50 and beating Lance Armstrong. Two goals! I read the Boston Globe article... oh boy is he going to enjoy his first Boston Marathon experience! I know that 2:50 is a big goal, but with me it never ends. If I do break 2:50, next year I will coming to the line to run 2:45 - it never stops!! Anyway, I should probably just be greatful that my 42.5 yr old body is extemely fit and I am healthy. As I sit here today, I probably have never been as fit as I am now (just like seen on TV!). I still manage to balance all three; body, mind and family. I won't mention the "W" word.

My race day plan is to try - TRY - to keep it even through the first half @ 6:25 pace. I think it is virtually impossible to maintain through the hills, but if I can average 6:34 for the second half, I will hit my goal. Of course if that fails, I will take anything in the low to mid-2:50's. I think I have successfully caught up to where I was last year - I just need to run a smart race. Even with the distractions in January (the W word again) and the extreme New England winter weather, I have trained the hardest EVER before the marathon this year! My run miles may not be the biggest, but I have continued to train hard at all three disciplines because I can. We'll see if it pays off! This must be the year! I will post all of my long runs later in the week to see if this was the biggest.

Anyway, enough psycho-babble. Here are last week's numbers day-by-day:

M: 25 bike, 10 run
T: 28 bike, 10 run (5x1 mi @ 10K pace)
W: 60 bike (MA to NH), 5 run
Th: 2400 swim, 16 bike, 10 mile (2x20 min tempo HARD)
F: Rest Day 12 bike, 5 run
Sa: bike 18, run 12
Su: bike 28 (1xloop Oak Hill 19.4 mi/hr + wu/wd), 6 run

Total: S-2400, B-187mi, R-58 mi

All of the bike miles are outside! on the beater bike of course (with my spinning wheel still attached). I am on the bike again today for the commute++ - that makes 8 days in a row outside on the bike! I won't have much bike time this week though. I also ran 10 mi today easy. Today would have been a perfect race day - cloudy in the 50s. Let's hope for a great day - we are definitely due! overdue for that matter!

I'll post later in the week.

No comments: