Monday, March 16, 2009

New Bedford 1/2M

Well ... I did it again. A week of heavy training and tight legs led me tired and a bit achy into race day. Even though I was tight, I still ran a 1:23:48 - not far off my 1:22 PR in 2007. In fact I was well on that pace right up to mile 8 (49:58), but slowed a little towards 10 and then at 12 I was really struggling up the big hill. I felt like I was dragging a cinder block behind me. My legs were shot, but I continued to push and finish with a decent time. The day capped off a 75 mile week. The coaches feel it's better for me to train for Boston and not worry about this race. I've never been a great half runner anyway.

Some interesting notes on this year's race:

Not much wind at all - very unusual for NB.

Warm temps ~50 to start and then maybe a bit warmer.

American winner - it was good to see race winner Pat Tarpy leave a trail of Kenyans behind. They could not keep up with him and he ran the fastest time in a decade. Also, nice to see women's winner and BAA teammate Heidi Westerling shed 3 minutes off her PR, wow!

Today I am very tired and need to get some rest! An easy run, bike commute and we'll see if I survive tonight at the pool. I guess it's really not a rest day!

I will try to post training numbers the next few weeks, as I have not been recording anything except running miles. Also, 5 weeks out means the next 2-3 weeks I will be piling on the running miles on. Expect to see some big numbers as I start to do more doubles (last week I had two doubles) and now that the trails are opening up I can do that, get off the roads for some easy running and not get injured.

Hope everyone has time to get the big miles in the next two weeks. I will be running on the course again. Hopefully I will get to chat with Olympian Ryan Hall again ...

-Kyle

No comments: