Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Final Few Days - Race Week

Boston # 2223

Qualifying Time: 2:56:59 (Manchester Marathon 11/08)


It has been a few weeks since my last post. All has gone well. The final few week's numbers are what you would expect. I just finished a 15 minute light tempo and will wrap-up tomorrow with an easy half hour run, and then it will be the race.


I think I have paid my dues this year. At the cost of a lot of hard work and a bit of torture too. Long term forecast is 50 degrees with afternoon rain and a head wind coming off the ocean. Sound familiar? That's about the same conditions as 2007 which yielded a 2:53:11 PR. I'm okay with light rain and windy/cool conditions - I always run my best times in those conditions - Manchester Marathon = 35 degrees, windy, blustery, etc. Bring it on!


I conclude this training period with no issues. I have been off the bike this week and it is weird to actually drive a car to work every day. I think after this week is over I will go back to riding each day, but it is an unusual treat for me to be able to listen to music each day to and fro work. I do crave the bike though and look forward to "crossing" over and doing some long rides now that warm weather is here and I don't have to wear all that gear!!


I hope everyone's training has gone well and the most important thing is to get rest the next few days. This is a big year for the Boston Marathon! Ryan Hall and Kara Goucher potential winners - keep fingers crossed. This year marks running partner and four-time winner Bill Rodgers returns to the race. We ran together yesterday and he looks good. Our group is the self-proclaimed "Ice Road Runners" - read this months article on him in Runner's World Magazine. I think this will be a great year for him.


Anyway, the final words are what you would expect. I will not be holding anything back. I am due for a big race as the two prep races; DH Jones 10miler and New Bedford races were just insult and punishment on top of a whole lot of training. The goal and it is always the goal with me; to come out with a new marathon PR for 2009!


-Kyle

No comments: