Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Ironman Lake Placid Race Week

The countdown to the race has begun. As I promised folks I would - I have been tapering, somewhat. This will be my fourth Ironman and I feel like this is the one I am finally going to nail. I have paid my dues, but still need to hit my time goal to get that trip to Kona. The pressure is on! and ... I will be signing up again for next year the day before the race. I CAN NOT WAIT to get up there and get into the race environment. It never gets old for me. We will be leaving tomorrow am for Glens Falls and then arrive early Thursday, so I can get registered, etc. and get some riding in around town. Lake Placid Forecast for Sunday: 76 deg.F with scattered thunderstorms - about the same forecast as last year when it rained 3 inches the day of the race. Oh well, after riding across the northeast for three days in the rain, I guess I can handle racing one day in it. I like this picture (above) of the ski jumps, because you make the right turn on the last loop of the run and head back toward town to the finish. LP is really a beautiful area and I have come to fall in love with the Olympic setting and all ... some blue sky like in this picture would also be nice. Anyway, I don't have much to report, all has gone well through this training-period, which really started Jan. 1 for Boston. I think I have really held onto my running fitness this year and continue to progress in the other disciplines. However, being without a car and riding my bike everywhere - it has been almost a year now since my beloved mercedes was totaled - I keep showing my kids my new car every time I drive by the mercedes dealership. For today, it will stay new, because riding every day has become my lifestyle and riding in the rain is certainly better than 18 deg. and snowing. It has really worked for me and I see a strong bike segment coming in this year's race. The LP bike leg is definitely A LOT easier than that painful bike course in France. I will be looking to one-up. The body has really held up this year - I have no issues, which is great. This may be my last post before the race, so I wish all my team-mates, friends and all of the competitors GOOD LUCK! I am unsure if they will have internet access up at the house, but if they do I will try to keep everyone up to date on pre and post race activities.

Cheers! -Kyle


1 comment:

Wess said...

All the best Kyle! We'll be watching from back here. look forward to the race report and announcement of a Kona trip!

paul