Friday, July 31, 2009

Lake Placid Race Report

My fourth attempt at this distance would send me home with no slot and already looking toward next year. Wow! What a competitive race! It seemed liked there were endless 40s and 41s on guys calves; a definite sign I need to age up and get the hell out of this age group.

Another bad sign; the first slot would go to former professional athlete Curt Chesney at a time of 9:18. I guess coming from a pro cycling background doesn't hurt. The good news at the roll down: a record number of slots available announced (everybody cheered). The bad news: almost all got grabbed in my age group and I was a long shot at best to start with. Anyway the race report:

Night before the race, trouble sleeping. Too many chocolate chip cookies? Probably just too wired up and maybe taking this thing too serious. 3 hours sleep total = not good.

Swim:

Not making the same mistake as in 2007 - lined up to the right, where less bodies were. Swim start was not too bad, but got real physical fast. The fight began about half way down the first stretch. I got kicked in the chin towards the end of the first stretch. My jaw was okay, but I could taste blood in mouth and knew I must have gotten the inside of my cheek. First loop exited side-by-side with Kimball, so I know things were going well. Second loop was uneventful. Swim right down the line for a while and things seemed rougher as I got away from the line, so tried to keep it close.

Time: 65:01

This is an LP PR and only seconds from my IMF PR, so I was very pleased.

Bike:

Sleepy start. Not pushing too hard and don't want to make the fast first-loop mistake. Rain, wind, but light and the first loop felt easy. Back and forth with Steve, we were both being conservative. Grabbed a few GUs with caffeine and started to wake up. Finished loop one and was ready to go. I took off right from the start of loop 2. I was really feeling good and ready to make a race out of this thing. Lot's of speed leading into the downhills and a new PR; 54 mph on the downhill. I was absolutely flying and the only issue was I was going 20 mph faster than everyone else. I kept yelling "left" as they all drift out going down the hill. My fear was crashing into one of these guys floating out and not paying attention. As bizarre as it was going into the Hazleton turnaround - both legs cramped going up the last hill. I must have been dehydrated? I had been drinking lots of gatorade and had plenty of nutrition, but it must not have been enough. I think the day played tricks on everyone as we went from rain to humid to dry during the day. I began to drink tons of gatorade - maybe three bottles in the last 20 miles. They showed signs of cramping again, so I would go to a lighter gear, fighting the headwind coming back up the hills in the aero position.

Time: 5:38:00 19.9 mph

The run:

All systems go. Even though I had cramps, my cycling is stronger this year and I felt like I as going to have a good run. All went well first loop (split 1:41+). I was on my way to what I thought would be a 3:25, which would be great considering it was warming up. Loop 2: legs are good, tired, but running well. Temperature is warm (78 or 79?) and sunny. I'm beginning to pray for that thunderstorm or just rain to cool me off as I am now very hot and it is wearing on me. I make the turnaround, see none of my team-mates, promise myself I will continue to run hard to the ski jumps, but ... (no warm weather acclimation)+(don't run well in the heat well anyway) = (tough marathon). My pace is now slowed and I am hot and starting to labor. I feel like I am the only one running and I probably was for long stretches. The aid stations are packed with folks on loop one and the one place I need to walk - at the aid station all the cups get grabbed in front of me and I stop to walk and tell one of the guys I need a drink - can't run off with out drinking or it will be over. At every aid station I was taking gatorade, water and coke and ice, with a sponge over the head - that's how you survive. I make the ski jumps and the up hill begins. I am really blowing up and it is a struggle to run, but the legs are still moving. I know miles 24 and 25 must have been in the 10 min/mile range, but ... I am still running. I am also picking off maybe a dozen or more in my age group, most are walking. I make the turnaround at the lake and begin to push that last mile, as I just want this thing to be over. I cross the line in fashion and then lose equilibrium for a few moments as all of sudden ... I can't stand-up - like a drunken sailor. I guess I had exerted myself - probably the heat on the run more then anything.

Time: 3:38:33 8:21 min/mile

Overall Time: 10:29:44
Overall Place: 116th
AG Place: 28th

Final notes on the race:
My second fastest time only by seconds. I can't believe I was 116th overall, but 28th in my age group - with 50+ professionals in the race - ughh! The time is slow, but it was definitely a tough day and I think I still performed well, considering the elements. I am already signed-up for next year, as everyone knows this will again be my best shot as I age up. So ... refocus, improve and come back year grab the slot and I want a spot on that podium!!

Cheers! - Kyle

I will post next week on future race plans for the year. I haven't exactly thrown in the towel yet.

1 comment:

MB said...

Congrats on your LP PR! That's awesome. Send me a message for a training session.