Saturday, October 24, 2009

Crossing Back Over (Again)

The whole mess caught on camera. Thanks for the idea Mark and kudos to you for cheering everyone on all day in the rain - there are better days ahead. Also, kudos to my Dad for handing out those GUs - I never saw any at the aid stations until about 22 - way to late. I have fully recovered from the cold (that was inevitable) and I am back on the bike trying to turn myself back into a triathlete for one last time for 2009. I have been running since Tuesday and the legs, surprisingly enough, have bounced right back. I can't remember the last marathon where my recovery has been so quick. Today was a 2:40 brick; 2+ hours on the bike and a hard tempo 5+ miler at around 6:40 pace (last mile 6:25), which felt hard - 6 days after the marathon! Also, I can't believe I am training like this at the end of October! ... but the addiction is strong and I will need to mix hard and easy days, as to avoid injury. Tomorrow will be a day off, really the first day since the race. I also need to scope the weather channel for a good outside day for a long TT workout on the race bike - hopefully I will get some good days in the next two weeks to ride and do intervals. Also, desperately need to get intimate with the pool the next two weeks, as I am now 9 days from my last swim and open-water season is definitely over for me. I can't take any risks after being in that hypothermic state last weekend, so my next open water swim will be in Clearwater.
Next race will be Manchester City Half Marathon next weekend. I feel no pressure with this race. I will race as well as I feel that day. There is prize money at this race, however I will need to have an outstanding race like last year to get me back into the money. See last year's race report; Manchester Marathon was my best running race in 2008 and gave me the renewed confidence to come back and run 2:52 this year at Boston.
Anyway, 11/14 is coming fast and I can't wait to go to FLA and get back in the warm sun. This winter thing has come to stay and I think the snow last weekend is an indication for things to come. It is weird, but somehow I am already used to being on the trainer hours at a time. I'll post again next week. -Kyle

No comments: