Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Good, the Bad and the Over-trained

Not some spagetti western, it seems like I always fall into the third category. Last Friday/Saturday, I absolutely blew-up. I've managed to come back this week and feel a lot better, but I desparately need to get to taper week, which starts next Monday. This training period has been unusual, as I have only trained for seven weeks for this race. LOTS of speedwork and not much junk miles, although I have tried to keep long runs at LSD pace. I have managed to walk the fine line again, but the 43 year old body has stayed together and I think I will have a good race on the 18th. Baystate will be my 31st marathon and I won't be holding anything back. That said, I need to be REASONABLE on what I expect to get out of this race. I need to go hard and yes, I am looking to PR, but I need to stay under control (no caps lock needed!). Mark and I will be trying to get the BAA masters into a scoring position. This marathon is the NE marathon championships and we will be tailing some of the BAA big guns and ... a lot of fast runners from the other teams will be there. Anyway, I will continue to pound on myself for the next five days and then stop. I seem to be used to the torture at this point anyway.

I hope to see a lot of folks at Baystate! Keep fingers crossed for a cool October day.

-Kyle

No comments: