Tuesday, May 3, 2011

15th Consecutive Boston in the Record Books

I know - I'm not supposed to be this quiet on this end. First of all; I would like to thank my BAA team-mates for their confidence in me and their unconditional support in me trying to pull off another personal record this year. I explained that it would be a long-shot, but no one ever doubted and in fact, most said that they wouldn't be surprised after last year's 2:49. A VERY quick race report; plan was to go out fast, stay fast in the middle and finish fast at the end. We all new it was going to be an incredible day; and after 14 Bostons, this would be the first with any kind of tail wind. And what a day it was, the fastest marathon ever for Mutai and even some sensational times after that. There was never any doubt in my mind; I was going for it. It was a stretch, but if I could hold on, it would yield great results. Here are some splits:

5K -18:55, 6:05 pace
10K - 38:38, 6:12
10m - 62:38, 6:16
1/2 - 1:23:41, 6:24

I actually felt okay, but at 21mi it was over and I really payed the last 5 miles. If I could have run the last five at the same pace as the first five I might have hit 2:50, but in an all or nothing attempt, that is what you get. I have gained valuable experience, and have never tried to run a marathon that fast from the start. I will come back next year and try again. Back to crossing over; I am going to ramp up the cycling and start from sctratch with running. No immediate panic for LP. I want to do a smart ramp up and peak right before the IM.

-Kyle

No comments: