Wednesday, November 2, 2011

A Quick Cape Cod Marathon Report

I knew we were in trouble the night before when I was abruptly wakened by the house moving from a HUGE gust of wind. We were worried that the race would be canceled, but race organizers vowed that the race would go on. My second marathon during a serious Nor'easter. Race start; very cold about 36deg with a wind chill around 20deg. I was scared this would be a repeat of Baystate two years ago when I got hypothermic during the race. Thankfully, no rain just wind and I was dressed with more clothes in this race than any other marathon, to make sure I would be warm enough through the entire race.

Race summary; this race ends my long sub-3 streak with a 3:06. Tough course under adverse conditions, I was worried that this race would end my streak. Anyway, high wind, roads with lots of debris and then Shore Line Drive completly flooded in about 5 places, I just felt like everything went wrong - including the cytomax drinks, which were awful and blasted my stomach. Honestly, I think the combination of hills and running into the wind killed my hamstrings, trying to keep my body leaning into the wind. Anyway, I am still celebrating a long season and I'm satisfied and glad that the season is over. I gave it my best shot, the race didn't get canceled and the add-a-10+ minute consensus would leave me with a good result. Hope all is well with everyone. We got power back very quickly - very lucky, but many still without power. Something needs to change. -Kyle

No comments: