Monday, June 8, 2009

Mooseman Race Report

I can't complain, it's a PR by almost 14 minutes. I haven't really done that many half-irons; Moose, Timberman and Patriot. Mooseman 2005 was my first big triathlon, only 4 years ago! and I have never really approached it as a target race; e.g. riding 325 miles the week before is not a great taper for a race.

Race Results:

Swim: 31:54
Bike: 2:36:23 (21.5 mph)
Run: 1:28:49 (6:47 min/mi)

11th AG, 51st overall

Race Report:

Stacked race! Many Pros. Lot's of really fast runners. Strong breeze off the lake, freezing cold water! Could not feel my feet out of the water. Tried to put on socks before the bike shoes and was having legs cramps. Bike was strong, but back was bothering, especially on the hills of the first loop of the run. Started to fall off pace and was struggling to get it back. Last 5K back felt better and legs came back for a fast and redeeming finish.

I'm happy. I think one of these years I will train and taper for one of these races and come back and do a 4:30. An expensive, but well done race with lots of stuff. The body is very tired and I need to resolve the back issue (not related to IM training - I think I said that before). I need a couple of days to clear the had and then it's back to the Kona-or-bust wagon.

Congrats to MRC guys racing up there; Jim, Ian, Lynn, Cort, Paul D. and Paul W. and all the new guys on the team!

No comments: