Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Mission Accomplished!! 2:49:53

Not the same feat as putting Armstrong on the moon, but I reached my goal!!!

The race day conditions were ideal and I can't remember if we have had such perfect conditions in the last fourteen years. It certainly shows with the course record being broken.

Anyway, the race report:

I felt strong from the beginning and ran with Brian and John B. for many miles. It helped having them run the pace and it felt easy. We broke apart, and at the half I felt fresh and I knew this thing was coming down. Quick stop at 16mi to kiss the family and then back on pace. Heartbreak did feel hard, as trying to sustain that pace over the hills is difficult! Still strong and trying to maintain pace, at 22mi. team-mate and friend John B. flew by me at 6:00 min. pace? I say I am going to stay with him, but end up chasing. It is good because I am staying on pace the last few miles, where I am checking watch and I know I am right on the line for sub-2:50. Just as I start to cave in and say I can't break 2:50 - right before the right and then left onto Boylston - I pass 400M to go and check watch - I have 90 seconds. I say to myself - it has to happen right now! I don't care if they zip me into a body-bag at the finish. I then go all out in absolute agony and run an 83 second 1/4mi sprinting and break 2:50 by 7 seconds - 2:49:53!

I would like to thank my family, friends and team-mates, that have supported me and helped me achieve this goal through training, encouragement and camaraderie. You can achieve your goals if you believe in yourself. It has now been three years since I announced that I would break 2:50 in the marathon. The great thing for me is it came at Boston at the big race, on the hard course, with all the attention. It seems like yesterday the goal was the break 3:00 hours and that has long since been gone.

So what now?? I guess the answer is: I turn 45 this year, so why not next year try to run 2:45?

Cheers! I am celebrating this week. I hope everyone had a great race on Monday!

3 comments:

wayfool said...

Kyle... awesome accomplishment. I hope to join you one day in the sub-2:50 club.

wayfool said...

Kyle... my bad. Wrong city for the trail race. It's in Boxford on June 15th. Here's the link for last year's race: http://www.northmedfordclub.org/summer09

Michael said...

Congratulations on Boston! Reaching a goal on that course isn't easy, well done.