Monday, June 28, 2010

Still On Rehab Assignment

Well ... I have nobody to blame but myself; too much, too hard and I ignored the warning signs.

If I want to be a better athlete, I need to train smarter, not necessarily harder.

So the injury is to my Sacro-illiac Joint (SIJ), which is literally the back joint. I am told that it is the soft tissue around the joint and not muscular or disc related. That said, it is at the bottom of the spinal column where all the nerves come out and go to the hips and legs. This is certainly the worst injury I have ever had to my back. When asked if I have ever had this problem before I said no, but seemed to remember some stiffness before. I checked the old blog and I found this post and sure enough it is the same thing; hurts to sit and was totally set-off from the drive to and back from Eagleman. It has been a painful two weeks. I have been able to swim and started running last week with very little riding (13,300yds, 36mi, 30mi). Anyway, I know I am not out of the woods yet and the main concern is to not go back into the penalty box again. With four weeks left before IMLP, I am in the danger zone. Need to train, but also need to get to the starting line healthy. I can't bring back the last two weeks of missed riding, but I'm back on the bike this week. Everyone keep fingers crossed. -Kyle

No comments: