Friday, July 30, 2010

Lake Placid Report - Good Race, but No Slot

Looking back at the race, I am pleased and I think things went well. My pre-race plan; have a good swim and PR. For the bike; definitely lowered expectations, targeted 5:40 - there was no way a 5:30 was in the cards without sacrificing the run. The run; make it all up on the run and do a 3:15 - 3:20. I thought that might give me a shot at a slot.

Here is the result:

Swim : 1:04:42 New PR!!
Bike: 5:45:29 (19.5mph)
Run: 3:43:18 (8:32)

Everthing went great up until mile 12 on the run, where I started to run out of gas. The legs were fine, but I was running out of energy. At mile 14, I felt like I had completely bonked and started walking the aid stations. I walked and took in as much fuel as I could; chocolate chip cookies, pretzels, etc. and at 16 miles I started to come back and ran the last 10 well. So what happened? I had fuelded like crazy, but had run out of electrolytes and had low blood sugar? I had enduralyte tabs, but didn't take them because it was cool and I had taken in plenty. So it may be a combination of two things; (1) Power Bar drink and not the gatorade endurance formula - which is loaded with salt and sugar. I just don't think that Power Bar drink has the electrolytes, so I should have taken those enduralyte tabs (everyone has been in my ear about taking them). (2) 145 lbs. - I am 7 lbs lighter then last year. This is new for me. Obviously I am not holding as much being so thin, so I think this is a lesson on racing on a light frame - take in more nutrition!!!! escpecially on the run.

I signed up the day before the race for next year - as an insurance policy, because of all the problems this year. I need to come back next year with a better training period and avoid the injuries. Anyway, another one down and I am looking forward to some smaller race and having some fun. No plans right now for the fall, but I may do a late summer half IM or shorter distance.

Anyway, I hope everyone had a great race! The conditions were pretty good this year.

-Kyle

No comments: