Monday, April 23, 2007

Post-Marathon "Noodle" Week


The recovery week has gone pretty well. I managed to escape my 24th marathon without any issues. I went for a massage on Friday (I'm finally doing things right this time) and that was the end of any signs of the race. Not much to speak of this week. I call it the "Noodle week" because even though I did some stuff this week, it didn't really amount to anything - some light running, spinning and 30 mile ride on Saturday morning. I even managed to "blow off" my 5 mile run later Saturday morning - see, there is still hope! Although, I struggled, wasn't even sure I could do it! Thought I might have to run later in the day, but I managed to keep from doing it. Took the ENTIRE day off on Sunday. Just enjoyed the beautiful weather on my deck, without worrying about being carried off by mosquitoes. Three hours of yardwork later on killed any need to do any training that day. I think the lousy weather really took the desire to do any real training last week. I made up for it by eating barabecue ribs, ice cream, all-you-can-eat chinese buffet (they lost money on that one), the typical post race loss of discipline, but that is now out of the system and I'm back to reality. I really hope this weather will stay with us for a while, we've definitely earned it.
Some quick stats and recap of Monday:
2:53:11
We did score 4th masters, results finally corrected: 4. B.A.A. 8:36:39 (Bell, Bowers, Nerrow)
24th marathon, 11th straight Boston
PR by 5:15 seconds, Boston PR by 9:19 - almost ten minutes!!!
Some folks have asked if I think I can get faster at 41. I think I can go much faster!!
I hope everyone had a good noodle week. The training has already started again today. I am back on the bike and need to go for my run now, spring swimming session resumes tonight.
Next stop: IronMan Lake Placid July 22, 2007
I am ready to train at a higher level than before. I am going to train my head off!
I want to win this race!! No Secrets!
Back to it!
-Kyle

No comments: