Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Race Report - The 111th Boston Marathon 2007


You may have seen one of these lime green shirts over the bridge at 128. The cheering section was pretty hard to miss. Even a fellow BAA teammate cheering on noticed all the green shirts and asked, "Are you guys cheering for Kyle Bowers?"
I would first like to thanks my wife, who shuttled 1/2 dozen athletes to the start and picked us up at the finish. My family, friends, MRC teammates, BAA teammates and everyone that has supported me over the last year. I sit here writing this with a Guinness in my hand, and boy does it taste good.
I would also like to congratulate my BAA and MRC teammates who ran. The times are unbelievable! I will definitely have to get faster next year.
Here is the report: I saw BAA coach Jeff on the way to the village and he said he had heard a report that there were bands of showers coming through. Just as he said that, it began to downpour a very cold rain. I opted for the long sleeve coolmax, my hat and gloves. The plan was to keep everything dry as long as possible. The race shoes and socks went on seconds before the start. In the corral, I dropped one of my gloves in a puddle while lubing, before I could grab it a squeeze the water out, someone picked it up and threw it away. The gun went off and I was quickly warm, wishing I had gone with the coolmax tee. As always, off to quick start - first 5k was 6:22 or something. It's aways fast coming down the hills, it's just going to happen. It felt so good to be running! The two days off before the race; the first day my legs were tight, the second day was worse. I guess I'm just not made to stop! I spent a lot of time soaking and messaging - to try to losen them up. Race day everything felt great. I even got some sleep with the wind and rain pounding the side of the house. Anyway the first half felt like nothing and I went through at 1:24 and change. I was hoping to sustain that pace throughout, but I knew I would lose time in the hills. I got whipped with some wind and rain up the first hill, but I could feel the conditions getting cooler and windier going up Heartbreak. From there on the headwind was tough, it's going to slow you down. It's in your face, there is nothing you can do. I was on target for 2:50 and I know I have it me, but this year wasn't the day. It was starting to look like 2:52. I also started to feel a cramp coming on the last three miles. I tried to keep from lifting my right foot high on the kick and just turnover as fast as I could. My nightmere of my calf seizing, but of course that didn't happen and I finished strong.
Here are the stats:
Finish: 2:53:11
I scored 2nd for the BAA masters, behind my talented teammate Mark B. - check out his race report: http://runfastermaster.blogspot.com/
Why aren't we scored as the fourth masters team?? Does anyone know?
1st Local runner Acton/Boxborough
468th Overall
438th Gender
70th Division
14th Massachusetts Master
I hope everone had a good race and are satisfied. You never get ideal conditions in New England. There is always some curveball thrown at you. This year was advantage us, because we've trained in lousy conditions all winter and are mentally prepared for it.
I'll be checking the other bloggers to see how things went - Michael?:
Anyway, I am ready to get faster as a runner, but next stop is the:
IronMan Lake Placid July 22, 2007
I am hoping for the same type of performance at IMLP as I had at Boston. For me it's all about the bike. Training resumes in one week and as you have guessed, it will go to the next addicted level.
Bottoms Up!
-Kyle

2 comments:

Love2Run said...

Great race Kyle! And already thinking about the next training cycle with the bike included, you're going to have a great season. Enjoy the recovery.

MB said...

Awesome PR on a tough day! You definately rocked this race on a tough day.

gonna have to find me one of those guiness